Friday, January 16, 2009

Life Before Claire--Was There Ever?


I may be in the minority, but I really love toddlers. Not only are they the funniest people on the planet but even their tantrums are just so darn...forgivable. Just today, my three-year-old, Claire, demanded to know exactly when her dad and I would be getting married.

"Well, honey," I told her, "Daddy and I got married a long time ago--14 whole years ago."

"You did???" she asked in amazement. "Well, where was I? You mean I didn't get to go?" Her little lip quivered, and she looked as if she was about to cry.

"Oh, Claire, you weren't even born then," I tried to soothe. "You were still up in heaven with God."

She pondered that for a minute and then her blue eyes widened. "Oh my gosss...you mean...I DIED??? Mama, when did I die? What happened???"

Try explaining to a three year old that life existed before her. It simply does not register.

I have never been very good at explaining such mysteries to my kids. Although I am quite spiritual and spend a lot of energy trying to make sense of life, I've never been much into philosophy. In fact, that's one course I would never have taken in college. I always felt debates over life's meaning to be futile, at best. Even so, I always imagined I'd be as wise to my children as my former boss. For every occasion in life, for any milestone and significant event, he'd be ready with a proverb or cliche that made the occasion seem so, well, important.
Yet, when it comes to the most important topics, the truth is that I am often at a loss for words. Like the time when my oldest was four and quizzically asked, "Mama, God can see everything, right?"

"Yes," I replied. "EVERYTHING."
He quietly contemplated that for a moment.
"Mama?" he asked, breaking the silence.
"Yes, honey?"
"Does God have a lot of heads???"


What about you? Have any good stories about your kids' questions about the mysteries of life? Leave a comment. We'd love to hear from you.

No comments: